Truth is a vital commodity. Without truth we would live in chaos and confusion. Jesus said the truth will make us free (John 8:32). Lies and error, on the other hand, can wreck and ruin our lives and even lead us into slavery.
There are three kinds of knowledge. There is what we might describe as scientific knowledge. Those who are the pioneer seekers in this realm of knowledge are like miners digging in the bowels of the earth for precious metals or stones. They search the vast reaches of nature, and bit by bit they accumulate enough information to draw a conclusion about a certain subject. Or, at least, they can formulate a theory about it. The quantity of this scientific knowledge seems to be endless and multiplies daily. The limitations of the human mind and the brevity of man’s life mean that we will never learn everything about this cosmos of which we are a part. Yesterday’s theories, which all assumed to be true, are often cast aside as new information is uncovered. So in many sectors of scientific knowledge that which is known is tentative and subject to amendment or maybe even rejection if new information discredits it.
There is philosophic knowledge. From earliest times there have been men who have wrestled with the issues of life and recorded for their students and posterity their understanding of the meaning of life, ethics, morals, etc. Schools of philosophy come and go like the seasons. The rage of one generation of scholars is only an item in a history book in the next. All philosophic knowledge is speculative, tentative, and adaptable. While there may be scraps of truth scattered here and there in their speculations, on the whole they reflect the limited wisdom of sinful men.
There is knowledge that has been revealed to us by the Creator of man and the universe. This truth is recorded in the ancient document that we call our Bible. Although our understanding of God’s revealed truth is constantly growing, that truth itself is absolute and unchanging in nature.
Because of the nature of God, that which He tells us must be absolute and perfect in content. “Jehovah our God is holy” (Ps. 99:9). “God is not a man, that He should lie” (Num. 23:19). “The ordinances of Jehovah are true and righteous altogether” (Ps. 19:9). “I, Jehovah, change not” (Mal. 3:6). God’s revelation has no imperfections. It is altogether pure. It will not stand additions or subtractions (Prov. 30:6). It is perfect as it stands and must be taken as a whole. Being from the Creator and Ruler of the universe, it recognizes no limits, restrictions, or qualifications placed on it by sinful men. Being the product of the omniscient God, in all it says it is certain, absolute, positive, and authoritative. Learning and following God’s truth makes us free from sin, ignorance, error, and superstition (John 8:32).
The truths revealed in the Bible are absolute.
* “For all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God” (Rom. 3:23). You are not an exception!
* “Without faith it is impossible to be well-pleasing unto God” (Heb. 11:6). There are no exceptions to this truth.
* “Except ye believe that I (Jesus) am He, ye shall die in your sins” (John 8:24). There are no options regarding faith in Christ.
* “Neither is there any other name under heaven (than Jesus), that is given among men, wherein we must be saved” (Acts 4:12).
* “The word that I spake, the same shall judge him in the last day” (John 12:48). No other standard will be accepted!
* “Except one be born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God” (John 3:5). Either you will be born again or you will miss heaven! This is absolute truth!
* “So then each one of us shall give account of himself to God” (Rom. 14:12). This is an appointment you will not miss!
* “Be not deceived, God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap” (Gal. 6:7). This is absolutely true!
* “He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved” (Mark 16:16). This, too, is an absolute statement of truth.
We could go on for pages, but my point is made. While the words of men will often fail the test of truth, the word of God is true and righteous altogether (Ps.19:9). It is absolutely true and can be counted on in every situation of life.